Reservoir Number 3
Erected 1871-1880, Reservoir No. 3 was one of three water supply stations planned for Hudson City (Jersey City Heights).
Enclosed by enormous Egyptian-inspired walls, the Summit Avenue waterworks once pumped purified Passaic River water to surrounding municipalities and nearby Ellis Island.
Long abandoned, Reservoir No. 3 has emerged as a nature and wildlife sanctuary and offers a peaceful 13-acre inner-city refuge from congestion, noise and pollution.